What does that mean for me? I have to be running at full speed. I need to be playing with a full deck. I need to be firing on all cylinders. I need to have all my ducks in a row. (I'm sure you get the point) Basically, I need to be completely ready to help everyone all at once and do it with a smile on my face. Now wait just a second, I love what I do and I don't want my previous statement to sound snippy, or grouchy I just mean that my time is no longer "my time".
Here are a few issues I anticipate hearing about next week.
1. Teacher, "My updates are not working." Tech guy, "Well let's take a look. Typically our software updates are pushed out to laptops as they hit the network. So let's reboot, log back into the network and give it about 30 min. Drop me an email if nothing happens. You should see a little popup message telling you that Office and our Printer were updated."
(Inside story)
We use a system by JAMF called Casper. Typically it works great but on occasion it misses laptop here or there and no one knows until that teacher goes to do something and it doesn't work. This year we updated Microsoft Office 2011 and all of our printer drivers.
2. Teacher, "Something's wrong with my projector." Tech Guy, "Well lets take a look. As you probably noticed your projector was replace over the summer. It's the new one beautiful?" Teacher, "yeah but it would be better if it worked." said with a head tilt followed by a wink. Tech Guy, "I completely understand. First let's dock your laptop and then see if all the settings are correct. Well everything looks ok on your laptop, how about I try adjusting the projector?" At this point I will do a combination of yoga and acrobatics to balance on a table, chair or desk to reach the projector and adjust it's focus, position, and/or general orientation. The whole time thinking to myself shouldn't the installers have tested each projector and confirmed that it was set up properly.
(Inside story)
We spent $$$$ replacing LCD projectors and sometimes the installers don't fully test everything after it's installed. I guess that's one of the drawbacks to using contractors. Anyway, they typically do a great job and most of the time things work fine.... but when they don't I sure hear about it.
3. Teaher "I found this really cool software over the summer and I would like everyone in my department to have it by the start of the school year." (This makes me happy and a little crazy at the same time. Tech Guy, "Awesome, what is it, how much does it cost, and have you talked to the IT dept about it yet?" (Our IT dept makes all the decisions about what software we purchase and don't purchase.)
(Inside story)
Each department has a budget and they typically can spend it as they wish. Except when it comes to technology and specifically software. When it comes to software everyone is supposed to go through our Director of IT. In theory that works great except there is often a delay when going that route. So some teachers just but the software themselves and do a manual install.
Well, that about wraps it up for today. I have about 40 hours left to my summer so I think I will go spend a little time on the deck with my dog.
No comments:
Post a Comment